Hola amigos:Rice with Pigeon Peas or “Arroz con Gandules” is Puerto Rico’s national dish. Any special occasion meal in Puerto Rico (in Christmas for sure) would not be complete without Arroz con Gandules.
Arroz con Gandules Image
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sofrito
- 1/2 cup chopped ham and/or cooked pork pieces
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet sazón
- 1 15-ounce can Pigeon Peas/Gandules (drained and rinsed)
sofrito: 2 green bell peppers, diced,1 onion, chopped,6 cloves garlic, minced,1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped,3 tablespoons olive oil or oil with annato seeds- “achiote”.
3. Bring to a boil. Let boil uncovered, until water is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Gently stir rice from bottom up.
4. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
Tip: Do not use a lid with a vent that allows the steam to escape. Never lift the lid while cooking.
5. When finished cooking, stir the rice before serving. It should be light and fluffy. Gently fluff rice with fork. Cover pan and let stand 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Servings: 4 to 6 people