Hola amigos: Today I want to share with you an article about African slavery and the Portuguese slave trade in their kingdom of Angola.
The Portuguese were great sailors. When the Portuguese first sailed down the Atlantic coast of Africa in the 1430′s, they were interested in one thing, gold.There was one major problem: trade from sub-Saharan Africa was controlled by the Islamic Empire… ES
Map Of Africa Image
Many have been hoodwinked into believing a white-washed version of the history of the enslavement of black people in Africa and their transportation en-masse to the Americas.
It is often not known that contrary to the Disney world’s version of slavery, it was the Europeans who planned, initiated, implemented, sustained and benefited from the enslavement of African people. This barely known version of history will be presented in the few following lines. We will start with an examination of the kingdom of Angola, and its linkages to the Atlantic slave trade.
The Kingdom of Angola
Portuguese created the “kingdom” of Angola in order to create a slave supply province for their colonies and their other slave business interests (including selling slaves to Spanish for instance).
Ndongo, later called Angola was only one of the several south provinces of the Kongo Kingdom with a Congolese Vassal. Kabasa or Mbanza was the capital of the Ndongo Province, the vassal ruler was called Ngola.
The Congolese vassal of Kongo was controlled by Portuguese. The real king of this made-up African kingdom was the Portuguese Paul Diaz (a slave raider) and his successors (i.e. the Portuguese Governors of Angola).
He was appointed Governor of Angola (which didn’t exist yet) by his king, in April 1574. Subsequently, he prepared an armed expedition to take control of this Congolese province.
Paul Diaz left Lisbon in October 1574 with a fully equipped Portuguese army: 7 ships with 700 Soldiers. The Portuguese war of destruction in order to create a new kingdom ( a slave supply province) started.
“Old Pirates Yes they Robbed I…”
” …Some slaves were stolen by Europeans ‘panyared’- as the English word for Espanola (Spain/Portugal) was pronounced – and some as occurred often in Angola, were the victims of military campaigns mounted specifically by Portuguese proconsuls in order to capture slaves…” see Hugh Thomas, The slave trade (1997) , page 792.
“Spanish records report that in mid-July, ‘English corsairs’ waylaid and captured the Portuguese slaver Sao Joao Bautista. She had below decks some 370 Angolans, who had been taken prisoner during Portugal’s bloody war of conquest in Luanda” See Don Jordan and Michael Walsh, White Cargo (2008), Page 87.
This was the general pattern of events for the first few hundred years of slavery. The old pirates of Portugal created a horrid perversion on the West coast of Africa. Yet their descendants blame the victims, and excuse or downplay the centrality of the role of the Europeans in the entire web of the slave-trading network.
The lame rationalization one hears today, about how it is that Africans sold other Africans is not the whole truth. The other half of the story that has not been told often and bold enough is as follows:
-the Europeans especially the Portuguese flushed with victory over its recon quest of Portugal moved into the African territories with pillage and destruction in their design;
- Europeans especially Portuguese kidnapped hit the coast of West Africa in waves of military expedition wherein they stole and carried away many Azanaghi and others in Africa;
- The first slaves of the Portuguese and specially the Spanish of the new worlds were their “white convicts brethen” ( Forzados and Lançados) and some Berber or Azanaghi ; You had Berber slaves in Hispaniola (Santo Domingo), and Cuba for instance ( see Michael Gomez , ” Black Crescent).
-Europeans set up pseudo-African states like Angola, Cape Verde, which were controlled by settlers way back in 1500. Those false African states usually had some puppet chieftaincy, which aided and abetted only the interest of its controllers.
- Europeans furnished guns to those their African accomplices in order to get slaves, during the political troubles;
- The African rulers who sold their subjects were actually fake kings empowered by their European Allies (Portuguese and French), like the JAGAS of Congo. They made slave raids with the Portuguese but the very day they rebelled against their masters, they were attacked and sold as slaves in Brazil (see : Maroon societies by Richard Price)
- Some of the biggest slave traders in Africa were White and Mulattoes like : William Ormond, John Ormond, Faber, Gomez, Lightburn etc
It is said in the history books that Native Indians rebelled against slavery and preferred to die, but nothing like that ever happened. It is a lie.
Native Indians in the Caribbean were the first slaves of the new world ( Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico). Colombus in his 3rd Trip sent 700 hundreds native Indians slaves to Spain. See José Antonio Saco “Historia de la esclavitud” or Eric Williams .
Also,the French and English encouraged a Native Indian Slave trade business by furnishing guns and alcohol to their native collaborators. Divide and rule. For the Indian slavery see these 2 books:
- Barbara Olexer, “The enslavement of the American Indian in colonial times”
- Alan Galley , “The Indian Slave Trade”
Slavery is slavery no matter the color.
Africans are currently defamed with accusations about the crime of supposedly selling their own to the white man. Yet, before the Europeans had targeted Africa for their slave supply demand, in the new world there was :
- Native American and Caribbean slaves: Virgina, Maryland, Hispaniola , Puerto Rico, Cuba, North and South America, Martinique, Guadeloupe
- White slaves: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Danish, Scots, Irish, White Berbers, Turks, Arabs and Jews ( the later being result of the inquisition)
- Asian Slaves: Philipinos, Indians, Bengalis, Indian and Chinese ‘coolies’ came to replace the blacks after emancipation in Cuba , Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad etc
And then African slaves.
During the trans-Atlantic slave trade:
- English sold English, Scots and Irish slaves
- Spanish sold white female slaves for white breeding purpose in Hispaniola
- French sold poor French to their planters in Saint Domingue
- Some native Indians (same remark: some of them didn’t speak the same language, nor did they share the same culture) sold other native Indians to the French in order to get guns…
The only culprits for me are Europeans why ?
- They Planned it
- They Financed it
- They Insured it
- They Furnished the weapon on mass destruction for this purpose ( powder and guns)
- They are the only one who profited hugely for this crime against humanity: Banks, Big Families, Nations, and even their own people because it is well known that the African Slave trade was one of the biggest element which allowed the Industrial revolution (see Inikori).